8/10/12

Love Them Clouds!

Excellent cumulonimbus.

When we arrived in North Dakota, I was entranced by the excellent cloud formations. Not only  are there big puffy clouds like the one at left, but when they become storm clouds they are absolutely awesome! 

Because I come from a relatively quiet area of the country when it comes to lightening and thunder storms, I was delighted to learn that there's more than enough to go around in North Dakota! We live at the upper extreme of tornado alley and so, tornadoes are rare, but still a concern. We do have sirens that sound every day at certain times, just to be sure that they are in working order. One of the little towns just 16 miles from us had a tornado visit the summer of 2007. I have had the dubious honor of being just a mile from one that showed up at the Grand Forks Air Force Base in 1996. That was the first one I had ever encountered. It was scary. 
Cw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, leave a comment! tks!